Virtual and Place-Based Educational Opportunities with Sturgeon
We feel that investment in our youth is critical. Informed citizens are important to the sustainability of coupled human-natural systems. Through this MSU/MiDNR place-based and ‘virtual’ place-based experiences students are afforded opportunities to learn about science in the context of a charasmatic species like lake sturgeon.
How to get student’s attention?
Arguably there are few things that will grab a student’s attention better than a pre-historic 6 foot fish.
Engagement of University Faculty
Need for university researchers to demonstrate ‘broader impacts”
- How well does the activity advance discovery and understanding while promoting teaching, training, and learning?
- To what extent will it enhance the infrastructure for research and education such as facilities, instrumentation, networks, and partnerships?
- Will the results be disseminated broadly to enhance scientific and technological understanding?
- What may be the benefits of the proposed activity to society?
Data base management plan
- Funding for many research project mandate that data be made available in this spirit, teachers and students can profitably explore a wealth of information available in applied areas of interest to students.
Training of science/math professionals
- University faculty are in the same ‘business’ as K-12 educators.
Increase awareness of need for stewardship activities
- Informed citizens are far better stewards of natural resources.